Nursing Job Shadowing
The Christiana Care Nursing Development & Education Department provides nurse job shadowing opportunities for individuals to observe and learn. Christiana Care understands the importance of developing a strong health care workforce for the future. Christiana Care provides these experiences to encourage individuals to consider careers in nursing.
To Apply for the Job Shadowing Program
Submit the Job Shadowing Application Package to Nursing Development and Education. The package includes:
- Shadow Application (parent/guardian consent if you are under 18).
- Shadow Agreement (parent/guardian consent if you are under 18).
- Christiana Care Confidentiality Agreement.
- Emergency Contact form.
- A grade-point average (GPA) of 3.0 or above and a one-page letter of intent.
- Remaining requirements outlined in the Job Shadowing Application Package.
What to Expect
- On the day of your shadow experience, go to the information desk in the hospital main lobby and pick up your visitor badge. You will wear the badge at all times while on Christiana Care’s campus.
- Understand that Delaware is a small community. If you encounter a friend, acquaintance or family member during a shadow experience with Christiana Care, please keep all health information confidential and do not discuss patient health information with anyone.
- You may have a total of 2 nursing job shadow experiences over a 12-month period. All experiences are scheduled for four hours.
- Before providing care to patients, your sponsor will introduce you to the patient and explain that you are present for observation only. If possible, your sponsor will obtain the patient’s consent before observation.
- Our department reviews applications for nurse job shadowing and will send forms to applicants who request job shadowing experiences.
- Our department assists in identifying a shadow sponsor.
- We receive a high demand for job shadowing experiences and are unable to accommodate every request. Christiana care reserves the right to refuse any request for a job shadowing experience for any reason.
- We may not be able to accommodate requests during times of high census, such as flu season.
- You may not shadow if you have a fever, cough, open wounds or any potentially contagious disease. Please contact the job shadow coordinator to reschedule the experience.
- You will not receive educational credit or a grade for job shadowing at Christiana Care.
- While job shadowing, you agree to comply with Christiana Care’s rules, regulations, policies, and procedures and the laws and regulations pertaining to confidentiality and patient rights.
Questions about Job Shadowing at Christiana Care?
The Nursing Development & Education Department and Department of Academic Affairs provide job shadowing opportunities at Christiana Care.
If you have questions about a job shadow experience in nursing, please contact Moneca Davis-Graham at firstname.lastname@example.org.