End Date: 10/1/2021
Location: Elkton, Maryland
Position Type: Laboratory
Shift: Day Shift, Rotation Day/Evening/Morning
ChristianaCare, Union Hospital is recruiting for a Medical Technologist/Medical Laboratory Scientist who will serve our caregivers guided by our values of Excellence & Love.
Responsible for processing, performing, and resulting of diagnostic testing within the clinical laboratory in accordance to all established policies and procedures. Works independently and utilizes good judgment in evaluating laboratory data prior to verification of test results. Evaluates and reviews testing results obtained by laboratory assistants. Ensures compliance to all quality control and regulatory requirements. Achieves and maintains state-of-the-art technical skills and knowledge. Collaborates with lead technologists, lab supervisors, and/or the laboratory director in ensuring efficient laboratory operations. Performs all other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Demonstrating behaviors that meet the values and norms of Union Hospital.
- Following the laboratory's procedures for specimen submission and handling.
- Participating in all laboratory proficiency testing programs as assigned and maintaining records that demonstrate that samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens.
- Adhering to the laboratory's quality control material testing policies and schedule and documenting all quality control activities relating to such, including reagent calibration.
- Following the laboratory's established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory's established acceptable levels of performance.
- Identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and correct the problems or immediately notify the lead technologist, supervisor, laboratory coordinator, laboratory director, or medical director.
- Documenting all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications.
- Performing waived, moderate, and high complexity testing in any and all specific lab sections documented as currently competent and trained to do so according to all established standard operating procedures.
- Maintaining analyzers and equipment in proper working order by performing preventive maintenance on equipment as delegated and properly documents such, with notification of any unresolved issues and/or malfunctions as under #6 above.
- Troubleshooting analyzer and/or equipment problems using manufacturer hot-lines, service technician advise, and knowledge of operation with notification of any unresolved issues and/or malfunctions as under #6 above.
- Assuming laboratory accessioning duties as needed and requested, to include but not limited to, receiving specimens, result look-up, answering inquiries, order entry, and faxing of reports.
- Entering and verifying test results in the LIS according to established policies/procedures, including repeat testing as applicable to delta checks, abnormal, and critical results.
- Calling results as required by all applicable protocols and policies with all required documentation of such.
- Organizing and assisting in maintaining adequate levels of supplies.
- Promoting and maintaining a safe work environment through adherence to all hospital and laboratory safety policies/procedures, attendance at required safety in-services and training sessions, and participation in and demonstrates knowledge of during hospital/laboratory safety surveillance rounds and emergency preparedness drills.
- Assisting in the identification and resolution of departmental and interdepartmental problems relating to the smooth operation of the department and/or laboratory.
Education:Degree in Medical Technology, Medical Laboratory Technology, or equivalent.
License/ Certifications: None
Experience: Completion of clinical rotation through an approved educational program and/or previous clinical experience.
EEO Statement: Christiana Care Health System is an equal opportunity employer, firmly committed to prohibiting discrimination, whose staff is reflective of its community, and considers qualified applicants for open positions without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, disability, pregnancy, citizenship status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
UPDATE: ChristianaCare is committed to prioritizing the health and safety of our patients and caregivers. As we continue to meet the needs of our caregivers and our community through the COVID-19 pandemic, our commitment to health and safety requires that we take new steps to ensure a safe environment for medical care for our patients and a workplace that avoids preventable harm for our caregivers. For this reason, vaccination for COVID-19 is required for all caregivers at ChristianaCare and is considered a safety standard that is job-related and consistent with business necessity for all caregivers.
“Both as a patient and a caregiver, I have witnessed our core values of love and excellence firsthand.”
“I am so proud to be a part of ChristianaCare due to its emphasis on our core values of Love and Excellence.”
Director, Employee Health
“What started out as a temporary assignment has taken me on a career journey as a Medical Assistant to my current role as a Social Worker.”
“During our COVID-19 response I witnessed each of us coming together, not only as individual teams, but as an organization.”
Administrative Services Coordinator
“For me, ChristianaCare is a place of personal growth.”
Conference Support AV/IT Analyst
“I have been with ChristianaCare for 9 years. Through these 9 years, I have really been able to grow my career and apply my talents within the company.”
Manager, Practice Operations
“ChristianaCare is deeply committed to professional development. As we seek new knowledge and continuously improve through feedback, we support our case managers through the achievement of professional certification in case management.”
Vice President, CareVio
MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST - Part Time - 3p-11p/ 3 days one week; 4 days 2nd week & e/o weekend
Day Shift, Rotation Day/Evening
MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST - Casual Part Time - Days
Day Shift, Rotation Day/Evening
Medical Laboratory Scientist | 72 Hours Bi-Weekly | Day Shift | $10,000 Sign On Bonus
Day Shift, No Rotation
Medical Lab Scientist - 72 hr Day/Evening - Blood Bank - $10,000 Sign On Bonus
Day Shift, Rotation Day/Evening
Phlebotomy Specialist - Full time- Day shift - Wilmington Hospital
Day Shift, No Rotation
Why do WE offer careers full of possibilities?
At ChristianaCare, we’re committed to treating everyone with dignity and respect. We believe in a safe, inclusive work environment that fosters collaboration between caregivers from all walks of life. We know that each unique viewpoint is vital in delivering high-quality, safe patient care to everyone who walks through our doors. Our policies, benefits, hiring practices, employee resource groups, and corporate citizenship demonstrate our commitment to inclusion and diversity throughout our system.
Why do we embrace inclusion and diversity? For the Love of Health.
We serve together in Love and Excellence. Our unique values, Love and Excellence are bold and powerful, and they are the reason why working for ChristianaCare is special. The behaviors associated with our values guide how caregivers interact with everyone they work with and make for an exceptional work experience. We believe that when you lead with Love, Excellence is inevitable.
ChristianaCare’s comprehensive total rewards package is one of the most competitive in the region. We are proud to offer excellent benefits that reflect the organization’s commitment to being exceptional today and even better tomorrow.
At ChristianaCare, we provide access to high-quality and affordable benefits designed to meet our caregivers where they are. You can tailor your benefits to meet your needs now and adjust them as your priorities change.
Take advantage of ChristianaCare’s wide-ranging benefit offerings from supporting optimal health through medical, prescription, dental and vision coverage to valuable wellness and work/life programs, which include paid parental leave, coverage for infertility and assisted reproductive technologies, an employer-funded short-term disability program, and more.
Our region offers a diversity of cultures, lifestyles, sports and entertainment events, housing options and educational opportunities. Located between Philadelphia and Washington, D.C., our locations provide easy access to two international airports, employment opportunities in a tri-state area, and proximity to some of the nation's top universities and colleges, as well as beaches in MD, DE and NJ!Why Delaware? Why Maryland?